Thursday, May 9, 2013

My background in Web 2.0:


Never knowing Web 2.0 as an official title, I've been using the technologies since they first became popular. Growing up digital has its advantages, like learning a 2nd language at birth (which I wish I had done). However, to step out of the technological loop for just a little while could mean having to start from scratch, becoming familiar with what’s new all over again. I’ve used blogs, RSS feeds, and various forms of social media. Some of it is so second nature that it’s difficult to make a list or put a name to all the technologies that qualify as Web 2.0.

My current experience in Library 2.0 consists almost solely with Facebook. Working at a small public library it’s everyone’s job to update Facebook daily (or twice, or three, or four times daily). Mom’s post their own photos of events and tag the library. We receive reference questions, and all positive comments through the account. It seems like more people connect to the library through the free Facebook account than through the library website.

I’m excited to learn more about the technologies available, how libraries can take advantage of them, and how other libraries have been successful. It’s awesome to connect, interact, share ideas, and learn from others currently in the field and from all over the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment