Saturday, May 11, 2013

Becoming Mobile

I've been using various forms of what would be called Web 2.0 for awhile: facebook, youtube, twitter, blogs, etc. However, I've mostly used them in the Web 1.0 way. I've been a consumer of other people's information, just using youtube to watch others, twitter to follow others, and so on. I've always had the excuse not to tweet, check in, instagram, etc., because I haven't been mobile. It always seemed slightly silly to get online at night and do those things. Nothing at my desk is interesting enough to share with the world. I never had texting until the last few months (my phone predated texting), much less a camera.

I have taken the plunge.

My husband just bought me a new iPod. That may not seem like that big of a deal, but my old iPod celebrates its 10th birthday this year. AND, new iPods are just like iPhones that don't make phone calls! Who knew?! (Someone, I'm sure, knew, but I was living in a world with a 10 year old iPod, so I didn't know.) On my way home from the mall tonight I messaged him from my iPod in the Sonic drive through. That's just amazing (and I don't have to pay for a data plan)!

Long story short, I'm going mobile. I'm embracing Web 2.0 (and Library 2.0 along with it). It may mean my family/friends start blocking me from their newsfeeds, but I'm doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment